pic credit: William Cho
That’s right, shop until you drop can now take on a whole new meaning. Altering our perspectives can change everything, even the view of a mall as a place to rack up the credit card bills to a place where you can rack up burned calories. Since they are covered from the elements, have plenty of stairs, reach extensive lengths and have interesting scenery, malls can make an alternate exercise venue to the gym.
Benefits of Mall Walking
Walking in itself is an exercise that is well known for keeping people healthy and fit. In fact, walking has been shown to improve blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, aerobic capacity and control weight. Actually, the list goes even deeper than that. Some other benefits of mall walking include:
- Improved mental health in the elderly: It’s something interesting to do, keeps them moving and can be a social activity.
- Improved self-perception: Helps foster the want to improve yourself.
- It’s Free: You won’t have to pay for home exercise equipment or a gym membership.
- It can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases: Think cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
- Safety: Malls are typically well lit, there are security guards, no cars and it is less likely that you will trip over a crack in the sidewalk.
- Amenities: The mall comes equipped with benches, water fountains, bathrooms and places for food and drink.
Best Malls in Singapore For Walking
Our sunny island has its fair share of malls that are suitable for walkers. If you’re ready to start improving your health and mental well-being, head to one of these malls that is closest to you.
- Vivo City: A retail floor area that covers 140,000 square meters.
- Changi Airport: Walk the retail floors which extend for 100,000 square meters, and make sure to take advantage of the hearty stretch from terminal 1 to terminal 3.
- Ion Orchard: Total retail floor area of 87,490 square meters and what makes you think you won’t proceed to other malls at Orchard Road.
- Jurong Point: This one has a total retail floor area of 70,000 square meters.
- Suntec City: It is 82,500 square meters.
- Plaza Singapura: The total retail floor area is 58,400 square meters.
- Cluster of malls linked together by J-walk: IMM – West gate – J Cube – Jem and Big Box. The total retail floor area of these 5 malls located in the west equals to a massive 200000 square meters of walking area.
- Causeway Point – 39,000 square meters. This one’s for you, all ye north landers.
Tips For Mall Walking
Everyone could use some good tips now and then. Here is what you should keep in mind when mall walking.
- Park farther away to increase your walking time at the mall and make it less likely that you will load up on shopping bags to carry back.
- Use the stairs for a better work out instead of taking the escalator.
- Carry some weight with you such as a backpack with water bottles, weights or even a watermelon! (Don’t laugh, we saw this during our hikes!)
- Use a pedometer such as the Fitbit and try to set your minimum target to 10,000 steps per day.
- Motivate yourself by looking at the mall advertisements featuring fit models or the clothing that you wish to fit into in the future.
- Eat before heading to the mall and bring some healthy snacks to avoid making a stop at the fast food restaurants.
- Only bring a small amount of money with you so that you are not tempted to go shopping. Just leave the credit card at home.